Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Transform, and roll out!

That's right, roll out, to the movies that is. I recently went to watch Transformers. Let me give you some background information. I grew up on Transformers, I never had a dad around, so Optimus Prime always made a great father figure, even if he never did play catch with me or talk about the birds and the bees.

Optimus Prime was always the fearless leader of the Autobots, his authority was not contested, and he was always teaching valuable lessons. "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings", shouldn't we all believe that? Prime did. I still remember that I cried when he died in the original movie.

I had so many Transformers toys it's ridonkulous. Optimus Prime, Bubmblebee, Cliffjumper, Megatron, Starscream, the Dinobots, Insecticons, Constructicons, the list goes on and on my friends... on and on.

Fast forward to modern times. I drool over the 20th anniversary Optimus Prime in my local Toys R Us, but can't afford it(birthday hint mom!)

I saw the first trailer for the new movie last year, and immediately went batshit crazy. I did all the scouring I could, and ran across sectorseven.org (password deceptibot). I went through all the files and videos, I got giddy as all hell when I saw Grimlock wrecking through Pennsylvania, insecticons, and Bumblebee.

Fast-forward about a year, and there I am seeing Transformers on the big screen. I'm very wary of the film, Michael Bay took many liberties with this beloved franchise.

I walk out of the movie feeling as though the movie makers were ripped off, I would've easily paid triple the money to see that movie.

Let's start with some things many pretend die-hards are angry about. First off, Bumblebee. The ever courageous Volkswagon Beetle is not present. Instead, he is a 1970's era Camaro, later becoming a 2009 Camaro. This is not blasphemy, it's a change, but Bumblebee hasn't been a VW for a long time.

Volkswagon at one point got very angry about the use of their car in a war-torn series, so Hasbro made changes. Bumblebee became a combination of many cars.

So not having Bumblebee as a Beetle is not Bay's decision. This rivalry between Hasbro and VW is shown when Sam is buying the car, and Bumblebee slams his door into a nearby Beetle.

I don't want to spoil the movie too much, so just go see the damn thing! It's literally, without contest, one of the best movies I've seen in several years.

Everyone who knows anything about me knows my favorite movie is The Crow. This is the best movie since that, it may surpass it, I'm still on the line.

The special effects are mind boggling, the character acting is top of the line (who doesn't love Peter Cullen as Optimus Prime again!) Shia Lebouf and the other humans are all wonderful actors, and play their parts perfectly.

Here's another caveat of those who pretend to know it all. The humans, humans didn't play a massive part in the original series. There's a reason humans are so integral to this movie. Movies are created to make money. They had to appeal to fanboys and the general public. Most people wouldn't like the movie if it was just like the old series.

The human scenes in the movie in no way detract from the wonderful story and amazing action scenes.

I can't wait for this movie to hit DVD, and I plan on going to see it again sometime soon.

I encourage everyone to go see it, you won't be disappointed.

No comments: