Sunday, March 18, 2007

St. Patrick's Day

Happy St. Patrick's Day everyone. I hope everyone is staying safe. I'm now going to go off on this strange holiday. It is the feast day for Saint Patrick, the patron saint of Ireland. It's to commemorate his death. He brought Christianity to Ireland. I understand wearing green and the shamrocks, that's Ireland... even though the color for St. Patrick's Day was once blue... bit of trivia, now you can tell your friends just how smart you are. Anyways, I can understand drinking some alcohol, or at least wine, wine, in church, is the blood of Christ. Lager is popular in Ireland, so it apparently evolved.

But how? Did some crazy drunk Irish guy say "hey, if wine is Christs' blood, maybe all alcohol is, and ya know what? If I just keep drinking it down, I'll be even closer to the Lord." Thus begins the rampant alcoholism of St. Patty's Day.

So what of the pinching if they're not wearing green? I think some of these guys passed out, so they'd pinch them to try to wake them up.

It's kinda crazy, nobody goes out and gets liquored up on Christmas, you don't see alcohol on sale during Easter. Of course you also don't spread raspberry jelly on the front yard and say "c'mon kids Jesus went this way!" Or leave a note with a big nail that says "Dear Sally, when I came to bring you your Easter basket, I forgot to pick up one of my nails. Could you please leave it out next year and I'll pick it up. Your Pal, Jesus". No, we don't do that, first off, that's actually wrong on a few levels, I can count 4 of those levels right now.

It's just a bit odd how holidays come about, and how they're celebration mutates.

As far as green and pinching goes, perhaps St. Patrick ran around pinching people and saying "haha, you've been pinched by Patrick the leprechaun, you're a Christian now!" I doubt that's true, I totally made that up, so please don't go telling everyone that's how it happened, because quite frankly, I haven't the foggiest damned idea where the pinching people no wearing green came from.

No comments: