Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Yeehaw!

So maybe I'm just late to the party, but I just played Gun for the first time a few days ago. I wish I had played this a long time ago. It's really a great game, the visuals aren't an eyesore, but they certainly won't amaze you. The controls are nice and tight, and very easy to get used to, except for using the D-pad to replenish your health. The voice work is outstanding with a top notch cast. And the story is about as good as it gets in video games.

The game got rave reviews when it launched, and it's easy to see why. Everybody loves a western, don't believe me? Star Wars is just a fancy western, don't believe me? Ask George Lucas. The western tales are really a primal thing, we see it as pure American, which it is, it's how much of the US started. It's a day where men fought like men, men fought honorably, if you didn't fight with honor, you died in disgrace. People knew how to hold their liquor then, they knew how to work hard.

We like to think we work hard. Like the guy in the suit who sits at a desk making business deals all day long, he comes home exhausted, that guy couldn't last an hour in the old west. I understand it's mental work, but back then it was all mental and physical. The people back then were badasses. We're a bunch of God damned sissies.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with us, it's how our society has evolved. But there is an underlying problem in this evolution. Many of us claim we can't live without our TV, or our computers. What is wrong with you? You seriously have your priorities fucked all to hell.

I can do fine without my computer, my phone, the internet, and TV, I can't live without my family though, my mom, my grandparents, my daughter, girlfriend, the list goes on. I NEED my family, I really really want my technology, but if it disappears tomorrow, I'll do fine.

Computers have done great things to enhance productivity, but they've also made us lazy as all hell. Don't deny it, you know it's true. I'm not saying I hate technology, I love it to death, but it's not a necessity. It's not oxygen, it's not water.

There is a thing happening in a couple days called Shut Down Day. The goal is to get people to turn off their computers for 24 hours. I've seen people there whine, moan, groan, and bitch that they can't do it. That it's too hard. Bullshit. You're just a bunch of weaklings. I encourage you to go sign up, and turn your computer off on the specified date, and survive 24 hours.

I have every attention of staying shut off that entire day. I'll go buy a book to read while I'm at work, I've read my books far too many times.

I bet you think I've jumped the gun a bit, going from a video game to Shut Down Day, but the game just got me thinking. That's all.

No comments: