Thursday, March 15, 2007

Vista Elation

Sirpwn4g3 would like to post to his blog, Accept or Deny?

Sure, we've seen the Mac vs PC ad, and although this is a feature of Vista, it's not the annoyance they make it out to be. It's a security feature, and if you're confident in your computer wizardry, you can switch it off.

I received my free copy of Vista Home Premium today. And I just can't get over how much I love it. It's running nice and smooth, and it's oh so pretty and feature rich.

As with any new OS, you have to let it adjust to your habits and your system, it won't be blazing fast right away. I can't wait to see how well Vista performs after it's "broken in". It's running incredible now, I have no lag, no bugs, no slow down, it's nearly perfect. Right now my only real complaint is that the sidebar doesn't have enough gadgets. Also it's a little intimidating to get used to, I've been running XP for a couple of years, XP MCE for less than a year, and before that I've had everything from Windows 3.1 forward. This is the most significant change in the Windows line up yet.

Just because it's daunting doesn't mean it's not good, quite the contrary. Everything is streamlined, it just doesn't appear that way at first. We're so used to the way things are, and we assume that things will get better, and yet not change. Everything is better with Vista, and it is a change.

The install was quite painless, except for making backup discs. The hardest part about making the discs was the fact that I wasn't actually installing Vista, I was backing up XP MCE. I wanted to play with Vista... I'm having a hard time writing this post, I still want to play with Vista, there's still so much I haven't done.

I want to try DVD authoring, I want to mess with the picture editor, I want to see more of everything. There's so much packed into this, and I've barely scratched the surface.

Microsoft has finally taken a cue from Apple with this OS, and that's a very good thing. It's very very Apple-ish, but it still has the Microsoft presence to it. I highly recommend Vista Home Premium or Ultimate. Quite honestly, Home Basic isn't worth the money. Do a bit of research, find a computer with Home Premium installed, build one yourself, or find one that can easily handle it, it's well worth your money if you're ready for the change.

You'll hear more from me on Vista as I continue to go ever deeper into it's luscious bowels.

No comments: